The tuition payment will be refunded in full if you cancel your registration prior to attending classes and do not incur other University charges. In this section you will find information about:
- Withdrawal/Drop Refunds
- Refund of Excess Financial Aid
- Refund by Mail
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Borrowers
- Refund Summary
Dropping/Withdrawing and Refunds
If you register for course(s) and subsequently withdraw or drop to part-time, the refund will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
Students that drop below full-time or drop below their originally registered credit level may not receive a tuition refund. Adjustments for tuition will be determined on the effective date of the drop. Any adjustment of charges will be made according to Penn State's Tuition Adjustment Schedule.
When will refunds be issued?
Penn State will refund the credit balance which is the result of Federal financial aid in a student's account within TWO weeks of either the date the aid was credited to the student's account or the first day of the semester, whichever is later.
eRefund is a fast and convenient way to receive your student refund
To enroll in eRefund follow these steps:
- Login to LionPATH
- Click on "Student Home Base"
- Scroll to the bottom right side of the page, and click on the Quick Link “Manage Account/ Make Payment”) to get to your Student Account Dashboard
- Select "Click to enroll in eRefund", complete the requested information.
After an eRefund has been generated by Penn State to your financial institution, the process may take up to 3-5 business days before it will appear as a credit in your account. Please refer to your financial institution's policy concerning the availability of these funds.
Refunds by mail may be delayed
Students may choose to have their refund mailed to a permanent or local address. Refunds that are delivered by mail will be delayed. For students who do not indicate a refund preference, refunds will be mailed to the permanent address at a later time.
It is the student's responsibility to keep his/her local and permanent addresses up-to-date in LionPATH.
How Loans are Applied to Student Accounts?
The Federal Direct Parent PLUS funds are applied to the student's tuition and fees first, and then the student's other financial aid funds are applied.
A refund will be issued to the student if:
- The student has financial aid that exceeds his or her tuition and fees.
- The student has signed up for eRefund and 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account.
A refund will be given to the parent if:
- The amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the student's tuition and fees.
- 14-days have passed since a personal check payment (paper or eCheck) has been posted to the student's account and the amount of the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is greater than the semester charges.
- The parent will receive the refund by paper check and it will be mailed to the parent's address.
Please Note: As of 9/20/17, the refunding procedure will be as follows:
If you have a credit balance on your account, you will be refunded through direct deposit if enrolled in eRefund, or paper check.